Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Almost Half Way There...

I'm back again! As I was continuing my reading, I saw something that really struck me as curious. In many books that I have read in the past, when the focus on a character is changed, there usually is a new chapter starting or some sort of break thats clear. Not in this book though, the changed focus is subtle. I came across this in chapter 6. There is a bit of a break but nothing substantial that I could catch on my first reading of the page.
"She pressed the bell, three rings, then shoved the card under the door.



A perfect Moscow morning, alight and beckoning, the air alpine, a day to forgive all sins. The telephone call behind him, Barley stepped out of his hotel..." (120)
I tried to recreate the line break here so you can understand what I'm talking about. Normally I would have no problem reading this, and that was true. What I had a problem with was the fact I didn't catch it fast enough. If I had been paying attention to the words on the page instead of what they were saying, the following of the new person would have been clear.