As I started to read my book, I noticed how the book was being narrated. The name "Henry" kept popping up and I was getting confused. Who was this Henry? Why was he being spoken to? Is he significant in any way? And then the author, John le Carré, explained it. Henry was actually the narrator and he was speaking to himself in a way. "Though Harry is not my real name." (17) and "You need not stumble on me long. Horatio Benedict dePalfrey are my names but you may forget the first two immediately, and somehow nobody has ever remembered the 'de' at all. In the service I am Harry, so quiet often, being an obedient soul, I am Harry to myself." (29) The narrator was Henry but not really named Henry and he talked to himself. In the end of chapter one he gives us that he really isn't Henry, whom reveals that he is now the narrator. In chapter two though, he lets us know a little bit more. His actual name to start with and then what people refer to him as a way to distinguish himself.
This writing is something I am not used to. I would love to be able to use this technique in my writing. I love having a narrator in my short story pieces and in my writing in general. This way of having the narrator talk to themselves, talk to you and be involved in the story is amazing. This technique is hard to master but I feel that I could achieve that with a lot of hard work and great ideas, possibly one involving action and spies.