Words, that's what I wanted to focus on. What words express meaning in ways that entire sentences can? That's was my goal. So I took it upon me to find the best five words and give some information on it. Really annoying and boring, but I find it to help me think in a new way. It shows me what the author wants me to take out from the context. Without fancy words that we may never use in our daily dialogue, our minds cannot find fun ways to express itself.
1. Esoteric
"...then to hear me 'talk turkey' with Johnny on such esoteric matters as whether Barley could legally be styled an employee of our Service..."(218)
Definition: Requiring or exhibiting knowledge that is restricted to a small group.
2. Delphic
"I was Delphic, which annoyed them, but basically I said the answer was yes." (218)
Definition: Often not capitalised: Ambiguous, Obscure <Delphic Utterances>
3.Commiseration
"He lowered his voice in reverent commiseration." (233)
Definition: To feel or express sorrow or compassion for.
4. Goad
"...preferring to befriend him rather than to goad."(251)
Definition: To incite or rouse as if with a goad
5. Nadir
"The questions droned on and it was clear they would not stop until they had reached the nadir of their vulgarity."(262)
Definition: The lowest point.
All of these words are easily used in the text. As writers, we can do the same as long as we are able to have a relationship with the word. What I mean by that is, if you are trying to use the word and it doesn't feel comfortable saying it, it probably isn't a word that you should use.